History

The Vicariate of Spain of the Province of Our Lady of the Rosary properly dates back to 1874. Prior to this, (that is before 1830), the presence of the Province in Spain was reduced to oficial between presented by the Procurators before the King and the Council of the Indies. Aside from this it was the responsibility of the Procurator the task of recruitment and the sending of friars to evangelize in the Far East.

From 1830 onwards, the presence and activity of the Province and its Procurators in Spain acquired a new dimensión with the establishment of the Novitiate and Student House at the Convent of Ocaña . It was here that the Young would enter and complete their formation and studies before departing to the missions in the Far East. The administration was under the direct jurisdiction of the supreme authority of the Order until 1836, later under the Apostolic Commissair for Spain until 1872 in which its jurisdiction was transferred under the immediate supervisión of the Province.

The Provincial Chapter of 1874 appointed Fr. Pedro Pérez as the first Vicar Provincial of Spain, and with it the Provincial Vicariate of Spain was established.

From this date on, the Vicar Provincial would exercise the task of government over the houses and the friars of the Province in Spain, while the Procurator continued to be in charge of representations before the Spanish governement until the end of XIX century which witnessed the loss of the Spanish domination in the Philippine islands.

From 1900, The Vicar Provincial represented the Prior Provincial and the Procurator’ role was limited his activities exclusively in the economic and administrative business of his office.

Since 1969 the Vicars Provincials, now renamed “Regional Priors” were elected by all the members of the Vicariate.

After a long period of collaboration with the Provinces of Spain, Betica, Aragon and Portugal through the so called “Junta of the Iberian Peninsula” (JIP) and the demands of the new legislation, the Vicariate is faced with a new situation: since the three provinces of the Peninsula were merged into one single entity in 2016, the Vicariate had to intensify the bond of affinity and communion with the Mother-Province, revising the accords of collaboration with the new Province in Spain (known as the Province of Hispania) and the Dominican family.

CONVENTS AND HOUSES - CONVENTOS Y CASAS

The famous Royal Monastery of Santo Tomas in Avila was founded in 1493. It became a University from 1504 to 1807 and from 1816 to 1824. On 1 October, 1876 common life was restored in this Convent when the property was ceded to the Province of Our Lady of the Rosary by Queen Isabel II for the missionaries destined to the Philippine Islands.

In 1905, it became the Novitiate and Student House until 1948 and 1958 respectively. In 1958, the Studium Generale was transferred to Madrid but in 1960, the Studium for Theology returned to Avila, leaving the Institute of Philosophy in Madrid.  In 1963, the Studium Generale established the Institute of Theology and moved it back to Madrid in 1968.

In 1973, the Conventual Church was transformed into a Parish. Today, the historico-monumental now houses the Provincial Home for the elderly, the famous Museum of Oriental Art and Natural Sciences and the University Residence “Saint Thomas”.

Image

The Church and House of “Our Lady of the Rosary of the Philippines” was inaugurated on 27 April, 1918. This foundation was realized through the generous donation of the the Marchioness of Monasterio. In 1935, it was raised to a Convent and after the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), the Convent served as the habitual residence of the Vicar Provincial of Spain.

In 1966 The Church became a Parish and in 1970 the Convent and Church was rebuilt in accordance to the litúrgico-pastoral ideals of the Council.

Due to its location within the Spanish capital, the convent also serves as the community for hospitality for returning missionaries and guests.

Image

The vocation boom in the 50s impelled the Province to establish a bigger and modern convent in the outskirts of Madrid to welcome the vocations to the Province. Thus a property was purchased near the locality of Alcobendas just beside the Northern Highway known as the “Avenida de Burgos”.

The construction of this monumental complex began in 1955 and was blessed and inaugurated with the establishment of regular life in 1958. In this same year, the Studium Generale and the Institute of Philosophy from Avila were transferred to this convent.

In 1959, the Church was solemnly blessed and in 1960 the Institute of Philosophy was officially established here while the Studium for Theology returned to Avila. In 1968, it was transferred back to this convent.

The Provincial Chapter of 1989 celebrated in Avila decided that the Student brothers of the Studium be sent to different Centers of Studies of the Province and the Order. In July, 2005 the Church was constituted as a Parish with the same name of “Saint Peter Martyr”.

Image

Known as the “cradle of the Province in Spain, this Convent was founded in 1527 by the friars of the Province of Spain. In 1827 it was given to the Province making as its first convent in Spain. In 1830 the Novitiate and Student House was established in this Convent for the formation of future missionaries to the Far East. During the years after the desamortization of Church properties and the suppression of religious Orders in Spain, it was the only Dominican convent to receive vocations in the country.

In 1876 the School of Philosophy was transferred to Avila; the Apostolic school moved to La Mejorada (Valladolid) in 1912. In 1948, the Novitiate returned to this Convent. In 2005 the Convent was reduced into a House.

Image

By the end of the 60s, the Province was entrusted with a Parish in the blue collar District of Simancas, Madrid. A filial house of the Convent of the Our Lady of the Rosary was established there.

In 1973 a Parochial complex was built to serve the need of the neighbourhood. In 1983, the Extraordinary Council of the Province decided to establish it as an independent House and was canonical established on 18 January, 1984. It also served as a Pre-Novitiate community in 1993.

Image

The brethren are in charge of a Parish under the patronage of Saint Martin de Porres.

Image

In 2000, a House was established to foster common life among the brethren assigned here.

The brethren collaborate in the pastoral work in the Diocese of Caceres with the administration of a Parish Church under the patronage of Saint John Macias. This is the first foundation of the Province in the southern region of Extremadura.

Image

Outside the geographical territory of Spain, the Province maintains a house in the Eternal City. This House in central Rome, has been serving the Province as the home for the brethren  working as professors in various Roman universities, experts in the Dicasteries of the Vatican as well as for the friars doing their studies at the Eternal City.

The Province received the House and Church on 5 May,  of the Trinitarians, who were the former residents and owners of the complex.  Until 1964, it was under the jurisdiction of the Master of the Order; and reverted back to the jurisdiction of the Province. In 1969 it was erected as a convent, but on 4 September, 1996 it was reduced to a House.

Image

A Brief History Of Creation

She was bouncing away, when a cry from the two women, who had
turned towards the bed, caused her to look round.

She was bouncing away, when a cry
from the two women.

Spielberg’s blockbuster, “Minority Report”, is set in the year 2054. The future – at least according to  of MIT futurologists, hired by the cinematic genius.

She was bouncing away, when a cry
from the two women.

Spielberg’s blockbuster, “Minority Report”, is set in the year 2054. The future – at least according to  of MIT futurologists, hired by the cinematic genius.

She was bouncing away, when a cry
from the two women.

Spielberg’s blockbuster, “Minority Report”, is set in the year 2054. The future – at least according to  of MIT futurologists, hired by the cinematic genius.

She was bouncing away, when a cry
from the two women.

Spielberg’s blockbuster, “Minority Report”, is set in the year 2054. The future – at least according to  of MIT futurologists, hired by the cinematic genius.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.